Workaholic

Monday, February 13, 2006

Think like a Fish!


What is the best way to catch a fish?

My answer: The best way to catch a fish is to first think like a fish. Let me replace fish with a customer.

How can I win a customer?

To propose any winning solution to the customer I have to think like a customer first. I will put myself in customer's shoes and try to analyze what is best for me. I will probably validate the solution with the customer, to make sure I understood the need correctly. There are probably a million books written on this topic, so what's so new in what I am trying to say?

My definition of my customer includes but not limited to:

  • external customer
  • internal customer
  • boss
  • colleague
  • team member
  • partner


The function of a manager in my view is simply to meet or exceed the expectations of the customers. Most of the problems in business arise because I don't know who my customer really is. For example: All customer interfacing roles such as sales or service, need lot of interaction with the customer, yet, external customer is not the only customer he needs to deal with. Some times the bigger customer in these types of roles might be the boss.


Once I have identified my customers, my next step would be to identify what they need. This is probably the most difficult part. I have to wear different hats so that I understand the problem from all angles. Unless I do this, I will not be able to come up with a possible solution. I have learnt a host of new priceless theories in the Consumer behavior course on how customer thinks before making a purchase decison.


The next thing I would do is to identify what are qualifiers and what are winners for each type of customer. At a minimum I have to meet all the qualifiers and depending on the competition and context I have to look for the winners. For example: In today's IT outsourcing, CMM Level 5 has almost become a qualifier and not a winner for global MNCs anymore.


The next step would be to propose a solution. Ideally I want to satisfy all the customers but practically it may not be possible. One way to find a way out is to identify who are my major customers. If I identify all the customers, it will at least help me to set the expectations for the smaller customers. Of course, it depends on the context.


To summarize:

  1. I have to identify who my customers really are.
  2. I have to identify what my customers really want.
  3. I have to identify qualifiers and winners for my customers.
  4. Come up with a solution which satisfies at least majority of my customers.

1 Comments:

Blogger K. K said...

Cool !!!!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home