Workaholic

Friday, January 20, 2006

Un-leashing full potential

What prevents me to un-leash my true potential?
How can I find the right activity so that I am working with my full potential?
Can I get around with my problems so that I can do my best everywhere?
These questions have been bugging me from ages. Today I think I have a few valuable insights:

Dream big: Why should I think about problems when I am dreaming? Let me think of the big picture without any constraints. Think of ideal scenarios. Example: Imagine India as the economic super power.
Think radically: Many historical inventions happened because of radical thinking. That's why professors keep saying that no idea is a stupid idea. If I feel I have a stupid idea, I don't disclose the idea to others unless I am comfortable about sharing them. But I start jotting down these stupid ideas as soon as I get them.
View Problems as Constraints: I think this is what Goldratt means by his Theory of constraints. Why should we view problems as road-blocks? Why can't we view them as constraints? We know the big picture and we have the idea. Focusing on solutions and working with constraints is a better approach. Once we know what the constraints are, we can try eliminating one by one. We should bring focus on solutions. Some times some constraints actually guide you to work in the right direction. For example: If you do not have thirst for money why will you work?
Get Inspiration: I have to thank my dearest friend Vijay for giving me the inspiration to write this blog. He is the inspiration for me to do many things after coming to ISB. By being with the right people around you, you automatically start thinking differently. We will be able to remove many mental blocks by getting inspiration from the right people. Some professors are a great source of inspiration. They have much more depth in their analysis when compared to us. Books are another source of inspiration.
Ask Tough questions: I start asking tough questions about the problem. If I have run into a roadblock, I try to go back a step and see if I have missed anything.
Try doing peculiar things: We need to do a number of idiosyncratic activities once in a while to generate ideas. Some of them I try to do are driving to an unknown place, seeing movies from unknown languages, taking an impulsive vacation etc., Hardest thing I have tried and suceeded is not to do anything.
Debate: Debate your ideas with people who have experience in the problem area. They might have already thought about it and they may be able to give you better insights. But make sure not to reveal too much if it's an IP.
Use Research: It is very likely that somebody might have thought of your idea or a simlar idea already. Research is a good place to look for those problems.
Freedom: Search for freedom. If you keep doing same thing over and over again, it is very likely that either you are getting bored or you are not bringing quality. Stop doing monotounous thing at least temporarily.

All of these are motherhood/apple-pie statements but that's where the secret is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home